Fall is here, and that means cold and flu season is right around the corner.
Some measures you can take to help eliminate getting sick and spreading germs are:
- GETTING YOUR FLU SHOT!
- Washing your hands frequently
- Cleaning and disinfecting materials around you
- Covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing
- Eating a well balanced diet
Sometimes, no matter how many steps we take to be healthy, getting sick is inevitable.
The following are recommendations for your common cold:
- Running a humidifier in your child’s room at night
- Using nasal saline
- Rubbing Vicks on the bottom your child’s feet at night time
- Diffusing eucalyptus oil in your child’s room
- Giving your child (over 12 months of age)1 teaspoon of honey twice a day
- Drinking lots of water
Over the counter medications for cold and flu are not recommended unless discussed with your child’s physician.
If your child has a fever, difficulty breathing with their cough, or the cough is lasting longer than a week without improvement, they should be seen in the clinic.
NEVER hesitate to call if you have concerns or are wondering if your child needs an appointment!